|THE ORISSA OFFICIAL LANGUAGE ACT, 1954|
THE ORISSA OFFICIAL LANGUAGE ACT, 1954
[Published vide Orissa Act No. 14 of 1954.]
An Act to declare the Official Language of the State of Orissa
Whereas it is expedient to provide for the adoption of Oriya as the language to be used for all or any of the official purposes of the State of Orissa;
It is hereby enacted by the Legislature of the State of Orissa in the Fifth year of the Republic of India as follows:
Section 1 - Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Orissa Official Language Act, 1954.
(2) It extends to the whole of State of Orissa.
(3) It shall come Into force at once.
Section 2 - Official language for official purposes of State
(1) Without prejudice to the provisions of Arts. 346 and 347 of the Constitution, Oriya shall be the language to be used for all or any of the official purposes of the State of Orissa:
[Inserted vide Orissa Act No. 12 of 1985.] [Provided that where Oriya shall be used as the language for official purposes the Oriya numerals shall not be used and Internal form of Indian numerals shall be used.]
(2) The State Government may, by notification, direct that in any specified area and with affect from any specified date Oriya shall be used in respect of such official purposes as may be specified in the notification.
Section 3 - Language to be used in Bills, etc.
On and form such date as the State Government may, by notification, appoint in this behalf, the language to be used in -
(a) all Bills to be introduced or amendments thereto to be moved in Orissa Legislative Assembly;
(b) all Acts passed by the State Legislature;
(c) all Ordinances promulgated by the Governor under Art. 213 of the Constitution; and
(d) all Orders, Rules, Regulations and Bye-laws issued by the State Government under the Constitution or under any law made by Parliament or the Legislature of the State;
shall be Oriya:
Provided that the State Government may appoint different dates in respect of any of the items referred to in Clauses (a) to (d) above.
Section 3A - Continuance of English language for use in Legislature
Notwithstanding the expiration of the period of fifteen years from the commencement of the Constitution of India, the English language may, as from the 26th day of January, 1965, continue to be used, in addition to Oriya for the transaction of business in Legislature of the State of Orissa.
|Orissa State Acts|