(1) No person shall be deprived of his property in1[British India] save by authority of law.
(2) Neither the_Federal or a Provincial Legislature shall have power to make any law authorising the compulsory acquisition for public purposes of any land, or any commercial or industrial undertaking, or any interest in, or in any company owning, any commercial or industrial undertaking, unless the law provides for the payment of compensation for the property acquired land either fixes the amount of the compensation, or specifies the principles on which, and the manner in which, it is to be determined.
(3) No Bill or amendment making provision for the transference to public ownership of any land or for the extinguishment or modification of rights therein, including rights or privileges in respect of land revenue, shall be introduced or moved in1[either Chamber of] the Federal Legislature without the previous sanction of the Governor-General in his discretion, or in a Chamber of a Provincial Legislature without the previous sanction of the Governor in his discretion.
(4) Nothing in this section shall affect the provisions of any law in force at the date of the passing of this Act.
(5) In this section "land" includes immovable property of every kind and any rights in or over such property, and "undertaking" includes part of an undertaking.
1. Omitted, by the India (Provisional Constitution) Order, 1947.