1. This is an application by an advocate of this Court to direct an amendment of his name in the enrolment papers filed with the Bar Council, in the certificate issued to him, bearing No. 857, dated the 14th December, 1934, and also in the roll of advocates maintained by this Court. On the 13th December, 1934, the petitioner was admitted as an advocate of this Court and signed the roll as M.P. Gopal Menon. The certificate issued to him gave his full name as Machat Puthur Gopal Menon. The petitioner now wants his name to read as 'Nadumbilli Tharanallur Raman Nambudiripad son of Nadum-billi Tharanallur Parameswaran Nambudiripad of Nadumbilli Tharanallur Illom in Kizhuthany Desom, Mukundapuram taluk in Cochin State.' He has published an advertisement in the Fort St. George Gazette, dated the 25th November, 1947, of his intention to be known hereafter as above.
2. Obviously this Court cannot grant his prayer in so far as it relates to the enrolment papers filed with the Bar Council. The amendment, if he is entitled to it, can only be made in the certificate issued and in the roll of advocates maintained by this Court.
3. The amendment sought by the petitioner is not merely confined to a change of name but relates to a description of his father, of the Illom to which he belongs and his native place. Neither the certificate issued by this Court nor the roll of advocates maintained by it contains any provision for the mention of anything other than the name of the advocate. The petitioner, therefore, has restricted his application to an amendment of his name only.
4. No doubt it is open to any person to change his name and, after giving due notice of it in the official Gazette, assume a new name. In accordance with such a change, there can be no objection to a corresponding change in the name appearing in the certificate and in the roll of advocates. We therefore direct that the certificate No. 857 of 1934, issued to the petitioner will be amended by substituting for the name Machat Puthur Gopal Menon, the name Nadumbilli Tharanallur Raman Nambudiripad. The roll of advocates will be amended by substituting in the the place of M.P. Gopal Menon, the name of N.T. Raman Nambudiripad.
5. The name now adopted by the petitioner prima facie also suggests that he belongs to a caste other than that which is indicated in his name in the original roll and certificate. Therein he had described himself as a Menon : in the name as now changed, he describes himself as a Nambudiripad. By granting the amendment as we have done, we should not be understood to have decided that the petitioner is entitled to describe himself as belonging to any particular caste. The order which we have now passed is a formal order consequent on the change of name notified in the official Gazette.