Sadasiva Aiyar, J.
1. I think that Rule 8 (page 39 of the Forest Manual) prohibiting the 'use of a forest produce' includes the use of forest grass by grazing cattle thereon. Rule VI at page 343 relating to this particular estate of Kadavur also makes unlawful the grazing of cattle in reserved lands, and the land on which the grazing in question took place was admittedly reserved as fuel reserve.
2. The convictions are right and are confirmed.
3. The accused, however, got no reply at all, and no specific order on their petition of January 1912, in which they claimed rights of grazing on this reserve and the damage done was trivial.
4. I reduce the sentences to a fine on each of the petitioners in Criminal Revision Case No. 414 of 1916 to Rs. 5 each. The balance of fine will be refunded.
5. The fine will be paid to the complainant wholly.